Production Attorney - CRIME WATCH DAILY
JOB TITLE: Production Attorney
COMPANY NAME: Telepictures Productions/CRIME WATCH DAILY
LOCATION: Burbank, CA
CREATED/REVISED: February 2017
SUMMARY OF POSITION: The Production Attorney at CRIME WATCH DAILY will provide day-to-day legal support for this 5-day per week nationally syndicated crime/news program. This role will work closely with producers, researchers and other series staff in connection with vetting stories, reporting and newsgathering, and other items in a time-sensitive manner. Extensive experience and ability to advise in the areas of fair use, First Amendment laws, privacy laws, and defamation laws.
- Provide research, advice and assistance to the editorial staff and internal teams on all legal issues associated with the gathering, reporting and production of news stories and/or content for the series.
- Review and assess content to avoid claims such as fair use, breach-of-contract, copyright infringement, trademark infringement, defamation, invasion of privacy, and trespassing.
- Negotiate and draft various agreements including but not limited to appearance agreements, licensing deals, location agreements, and other agreements and amendments as required for production of the program.
- Advise on clearance matters, obtain minor’s contract approvals and obtain work visas as needed.
- Evaluate and respond to in-bound legal claims. Anticipate and mitigate potential legal issues within the organization and develop strategies to reduce potential areas of risk.
- Conduct research projects related to past, current and potential future programming.
- Liaise with outside counsel and other legal divisions within Telepictures as appropriate.
- Perform other special projects and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum of 7 years prior legal and work experience performing related job duties in a fast-paced production environment; prior news/crime program experience a plus.
- Experience advising clients in fair use, defamation and privacy law and/or intellectual property law.
- Knowledge of generally accepted business practices.
- Extensive knowledge of First Amendment laws, IP infringement, defamation, invasion of privacy, fair use within the context of news programming.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective negotiation and legal drafting skills required.
- Must be:
- Willing and able to work under strict time constraints and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Able to communicate effectively with all levels of management.
- A skilled problem solver and tactful when resolving problems.
- Able to maintain confidentiality, and successfully work independently.
- Able to multi-task and handle several projects simultaneously.
- Proficient level PC and Mac and working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook, & File Maker Pro.
- B.A. /B.S. degree in related field or equivalent experience required.
- J.D. from an ABA accredited law school required.
- California Bar membership highly preferred.
Telepictures Productions is an Equal Opportunity Employer.